PakShak Auto Detailing Forum
Shop PakShak!

Welcome to PakShak Auto Detailing Forums.

Membership to PakShak.org is free and comes with some great benefits! Members receive special discounts to our store www.PakShak.com. Enter drawings and contests to win great prizes or PakShak dollars through our members-only contests and giveaways. Don't miss out - Sign up today!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, respond to polls, upload pictures of your vehicles and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process, your account login or feel that you are viewing this message in error, please contact us.

Go Back   PakShak Auto Detailing Forum > Other > General Discussion
Home Forum Today's Posts Shoutbox Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar Members List

Old 07-07-2012

One thing that I should add is that there is a very large gap between professional grade and consumer level products. I know that sounds very cliche, but it's like comparing OptiCoat 2.0 to Mother's carnauba - huge difference.

When we clean fuel injectors, we don't just pour a can of additives into the gas tank and send you on your way. We utilize an extremely caustic solution that is delivered directly to the fuel rail by an apparatus. This chemical is so caustic that it can potentially destroy the fuel pump and hoses, which is why we deliver it to the injectors directly. After purging the injectors, we then pour products like 44k into the gas tank and send you on your way

So to answer your question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranney View Post
Oil/Gas Additives...worth it?
Yes and no. First, you must determine if the vehicle requires the use of an additive. Then, you must find an effective additive that can address your concerns. Always remember that it is important to fix the root problem and not just the symptoms. If your forced to use a fuel injector cleaner every 6 months there's an underlying problem that needs to be addressed.

Last edited by Makoto; 08-15-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-07-2012

I don't use any oil additives but do use a fuel system cleaner every 5000 miles. I used to use BG44k but heard they changed the formula and stopped using the chemical that worked. Now I use redline si1 which has the additive. Hard to find the stuff, last time i bought it at orileys. Don't know if it helps but cars seems to work fine with no problems and it can't hurt to keep the injectors clean.

As far as sea foam I can honestly say that it works wonders. I had a 4runner with over 100,000 miles and it ran rough. Ran the sea foam thru the vacuum line and it worked great, the rough idle and hesitation went away. Truck ran perfect again. Sure was embarrassing to drive around with smoke billowing out the back for the first 15 minutes. I'll do a sea foam treatment thru the vacuum line about every 60,000 miles.
Old 09-08-2012

BG44k still contains PEA which as you've mentioned is also in the SL1 additive.

While seafoam isn't completely useless, it's just not the most effective "cleaner" out there. It's sort of like using hand-soap to clean greasy pans.

Last edited by Makoto; 08-15-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-17-2012

I used to add 104+ octane booster, and the gains, if any, were negligible. With the price per can (about $10), I just couldn't justify the cost of fuel with the added expense of fuel additives. I'd much rather pay $25 to fill-up my car, versus $35+ with the octane booster.

Instead, I'm thinking of using K&N's Filtercharger (direct OEM replacement drop-in style) for my car. More airflow translates to better power and fuel efficiency. And since it's re-usable, it's going to last my car's lifetime, which translates to even more savings. Hehe....now I can buy more detailing stuff!

Of course I'll still be taking my car to the local Firestone or dealership for heavier-duty fuel system cleaning if needed since the products they use are much more powerful than OTC brands.
Old 09-20-2012

Makoto where do you work? I used to do this when i was in automotive and cant find anyone who does it anymore. Might want to do it soon.
Old 09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by waipahuson81 View Post
I used to add 104+ octane booster, and the gains, if any, were negligible. With the price per can (about $10), I just couldn't justify the cost of fuel with the added expense of fuel additives. I'd much rather pay $25 to fill-up my car, versus $35+ with the octane booster.

Instead, I'm thinking of using K&N's Filtercharger (direct OEM replacement drop-in style) for my car. More airflow translates to better power and fuel efficiency. And since it's re-usable, it's going to last my car's lifetime, which translates to even more savings. Hehe....now I can buy more detailing stuff!

Of course I'll still be taking my car to the local Firestone or dealership for heavier-duty fuel system cleaning if needed since the products they use are much more powerful than OTC brands.

Careful with the K&N. The oil on the filter has been known to contaminate the MAF. They do more harm than good. Look around on forums. Dry filters are best!
Old 09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makoto View Post
One thing that I should add is that there is a very large gap between professional grade and consumer level products. I know that sounds very cliche, but it's like comparing GTechniq to Mother's carnauba - huge difference.

When we clean fuel injectors, we don't just pour a can of additives into the gas tank and send you on your way. We utilize an extremely caustic solution that is delivered directly to the fuel rail by an apparatus. This chemical is so caustic that it can potentially destroy the fuel pump and hoses, which is why we deliver it to the injectors directly. After purging the injectors, we then pour products like 44k into the gas tank and send you on your way

So to answer your question:

Yes and no. First, you must determine if the vehicle requires the use of an additive in the first place. Then, you must find an effective additive that can address your concerns.
is this type of fuel rail service as needed annually as the stealerships recommend, or is something like every 2-4 years more like it--especially given a new(er) car?
Old 09-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfour43 View Post
Careful with the K&N. The oil on the filter has been known to contaminate the MAF. They do more harm than good. Look around on forums. Dry filters are best!
Thanks for the hint. Maybe I'm better off keeping everything stock. Last thing I need is an engine problem.
Old 09-30-2012
Master Guru

Quote:
Thanks for the hint. Maybe I'm better off keeping everything stock. Last thing I need is an engine problem.
Hi Ross, It was nice meeting you and your wife at the Shak. Are you still on Island? Sorry missed your post.

Last edited by Rsurfer; 09-30-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
Hi Ross, It was nice meeting you and your wife at the Shak. Are you still on Island? Sorry missed your post.
Hi, Ron! It was great meeting you as well. We arrived back in TX Friday, and we're already making plans for a return trip. Not sure when that will be as yet, but hopefully by the end of the year.

Take it easy, bruddah Ron....and have a great Sunday!
Old 12-30-2012

Quote:
Octane boosters do very little. The most popular OTC brands will only increase octane by "up to 4-6 points!" Most people will calculate this as:
87 octane + 4 octane points = 91 octane.

Unfortunately, 1 octane point has the numerical value of "0.1":
87 octane + 4 octane points = 87.4 octane

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnaks View Post
is this type of fuel rail service as needed nnually as the stealerships recommend, or is something like every 2-4 years more like it--especially given a new(er) car?
Frequency depends on your driving conditions. Those who travel short-distances for example, may need it on an annual basis. Others who drive 30 miles a day may not need it until their 30k, 60k, 90k service.

Last edited by Makoto; 06-15-2013 at 02:27 AM.