PakShak Auto Detailing Forum
Shop PakShak!

Welcome to PakShak Auto Detailing Forums.

Membership to PakShak.org is free and comes with some great benefits! Members receive special discounts to our store www.PakShak.com. Enter drawings and contests to win great prizes or PakShak dollars through our members-only contests and giveaways. Don't miss out - Sign up today!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, respond to polls, upload pictures of your vehicles and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process, your account login or feel that you are viewing this message in error, please contact us.

Go Back   PakShak Auto Detailing Forum > Other > General Discussion
Home Forum Today's Posts Shoutbox Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar Members List

Old 11-19-2009
Master Guru

Default Oil/Gas Additives...worth it?

Aloha all...

What do you think about oil and gas additives? If you use them in your own vehicle, have you seen an improvement in MPG or ride quality? Do you think it is worth it or just snake oil?

Here are some of the known oil/gas additive brands.

Seafoam
Duralube
Slick50
BG MOA / BG 44K
STP
Lucas

Thank you & Aloha,
Ranney

Ranney Pak
PakShak Car Care & Detailing Supplies
Hawaii's Car Care Central
E-mail: ranney@pakshak.com
Tel: 808-783-6006
www.PakShak.com

Last edited by Ranney; 11-19-2009 at 06:45 AM.
Old 11-19-2009
Master Guru

I turn to seafoam a lot and believe you me that stuff is awesome! I have been using it for years more so in some of the older vehicles that i have had and that were modified. It cleans everything out very very well. It can be added to oil, the gas tank and can be directly ingested through one of the main vacuum lines in the engine bay.

I have seen slightly better MPG and increased performance from using seafoam and best of all knowing that i have a clean system.

My cousin uses Lucas but i can't speak on that to much. I do however use the Lucas Oil Stabilizer and have found that to work very well. It helps smoothen out shifting and helps protect your transmission from damage and i have also used it with motor oil which makes everything smooth and lubricates things in the head (valves, valve springs, cam shafts etc)
Old 11-19-2009

I used to use gas additives but didn't notice any difference. I use full synthetic oil also, so i've never really wanted to experiment with oil additives out of fear of "ruining" my good oil.
Old 11-19-2009

i sometimes use lucas synthetic oil stabilizer along with their fuel system cleaner. i used to use bg44k but its a little pricey for a single application. the lucas has like 36oz and needs only 4oz per app.
seafoam is great on older cars, but id never use it on a newer car. lol u know somethings working when u run the car after seafoaming and filthy pollution pours out of your exhaust pipe.

ranney i recommend a top tier synthetic oil, it runs smoother lasts longer and just plain feels better. after your second or sometimes third synthetic change you can go like 15-20k between changes. i love amsoil. $80 for 6 quarts of their signature series n a filter, its pricey but well worth it. high revving DOHC motors feel the most benefits. i have no proof but i definitely think it adds a few extra mpg's and horsepower. i felt less benefits when using amsoil in my domestic cars, probably because of the OHV american technology.
Old 11-19-2009
Master Guru

Aloha all...

Thank you for your responses. I have heard that Lucas Oil additive actually foams up (trapping air) the oil which in turn overheats your oil and engine.

Here is a link,

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

"...oil has antifoamant additives to reduce air bubbles. In this case, there was not enough Antifoamants to keep the oil from trapping air with Lucas added to it.

Also notice how the oil on the right has settled down to the bottom leaving very little on the gears. This is the PRIME REASON for not adding in additives into a already good designed oil/ lubricant. Myself, didn't see this coming. It makes perfect sense what happened and would have thought it would help this oil to lubricate at startups but instead, it created more problems than it solved."

Now I'm unsure whether it is a good or bad idea to add oil additives. Gas additives seems to be the norm but many are skeptical or worried that oil additives could do more damage than good.

Thank you & Aloha,
Ranney

Ranney Pak
PakShak Car Care & Detailing Supplies
Hawaii's Car Care Central
E-mail: ranney@pakshak.com
Tel: 808-783-6006
www.PakShak.com
Old 11-19-2009

yeah i forgot to mention i stopped using the oil additive.. ive *heard* that it does weird stuff, but i only stopped using it because my amsoil rep said there will be zero benefit from adding it because the properties it adds are already present and working well in the amsoil synthetic. he didnt really bash the product he just said dont use it in conjunction with amsoil.

but to be honest ive used it a lot, and havent had any problems. in fact, on more than a couple occassions it greatly suppressed engine and transmission noise.
works great on my high torque differentials. that link u posted is pretty scary though.
Old 11-19-2009

wow thanks for that link Ranney. The average person when using these products never REALLY knows what's going on, but after seeing that writeup, i'm definitely not using that product. I can't believe Lucas knowingly designs their products to behave like that. But then again, I have to believe that they test their products enough to have seen similar results!
Old 11-19-2009

ive tried seafoam before, but it seems that its more necessary on older vehicles since its able to remove more carbon build-up.

but for just the basic fuel additive maintenance i just use chevron techron fuel system cleaner.
Old 11-19-2009
Master Guru

ohhh yeah . . . . using seafoam on older cars is the best. Poor it in or suck it up through the vacuum line, let it sit, start your car up and let the fog machine roll LoL.
Old 11-19-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec92civic View Post
ohhh yeah . . . . using seafoam on older cars is the best. Poor it in or suck it up through the vacuum line, let it sit, start your car up and let the fog machine roll LoL.
haha yea forgot about the fog machine LOL. my neighbors were thinking i broke my truck. haha.
Old 11-19-2009
Master Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_racer View Post
haha yea forgot about the fog machine LOL. my neighbors were thinking i broke my truck. haha.
How can you forget about that . . . . . it's the best part about seafoam
Old 11-19-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_racer View Post
but for just the basic fuel additive maintenance i just use chevron techron fuel system cleaner.
is that the one you can get from costco?
Old 11-19-2009
Master Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamlova View Post
is that the one you can get from costco?
Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner Costco
Old 11-19-2009
Master Guru

And for Ranney . . . . Sorry i forgot what kind of lexus you had but here is one:

Last edited by vtec92civic; 11-19-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranney View Post
...What do you think about oil and gas additives?...
The need for an additive depends on the vehicle in question. You would never give a healthy person chemotherapy, so we should think twice about using caustic chemicals in a healthy engine. The crux with additive use is determining which ones are necessary for your specific vehicle.

If your vehicle is properly maintained using quality fuels and lubricants, you should need nothing more than the occasional fuel system cleaner. Look for ones that contain the chemical additive PEA (polyether amine). Chevron's Techron concentrate, BG 44k, Redline Sl-1 are common examples. In severe cases of fuel injector deposits, a professional fuel system cleaning may be in order.

Your technician may also advise that you perform an occasional induction system cleaning. This procedure removes carbon and varnish deposits from the throttle body, idle air control valve, plenum, intake valves, and so forth. You'll often see this service performed as part of your dealership's 30k, 60k, 90k mile service.

Anything other than the aforementioned products requires some serious justification.

Engine flush products are often solvent based and can be potentially damaging if used incorrectly. They are also one of the most abused products out on the marketplace. Unless you're able to verify the presence of varnish or sludge deposits, there is absolutely zero need to run a caustic chemical throughout your engine. It's akin to the chemotherapy example stated earlier: why put your engine's health at risk to target a cancer that may not even exist? In fact, a high quality synthetic oil such as Pennzoil Ultra will naturally remove existing sludge and varnish deposits without the need for additional additives. Regular use will prevent it from occurring in the first place.

While oil supplements such as BG MOA, Lubegard Biotech, etc contain superb additive packages, I generally do not recommend their usage with quality lubricants. Engine oils contain carefully balanced additives and having the proper formulation is critical due to the way they interact with one another. Too much ZDDP (an anti-wear additive) for example, will actually promote engine wear once it exceeds a certain concentration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranney View Post
Seafoam
Duralube
Slick50
BG MOA / BG 44K
STP
Lucas
Seafoam is one of the products that I would avoid. In terms of intake system deposits, it's only marginally effective at best. A dedicated throttle body, induction system cleaner, and fuel system cleaner would achieve far better results. For vehicles that encounter abnormal amounts of deposits (early direct-injection engines) Seafoam has been shown to have minimal effect.

In terms of engine crankcase deposits, Seafoam is once again marginally effective at best. There are far more effective "engine flushes" on the market and some that are far safer as well. Look for products that clean the engine using ester oils as opposed to caustic solvents. The active "detergents" in Seafoam are naptha oil and isopropyl alcohol - neither of which I would recommend pouring into an engine of any condition.

So what about the smoke show? Well the main ingredient in Seafoam is pale oil (60% by volume). Like those old clunkers we sometimes get stuck behind in traffic, burning ANY amount of oil generates smoke. This has nothing to do with your engine being cleaned and does not indicate carbon removal.

STP, Lucas, Duralube, and Slick50 are all similar products. In a nutshell, they're basically viscosity index improvers that work to thicken your oil. We've been brainwashed into thinking that thicker oils provide better protection, but this couldn't be further from the truth. If your Toyota Camry calls for a 5w30, there is nothing to be gained from running a thicker viscosity. The additive packages found in these products are also extremely anemic and in some cases, completely non-existent. In other words, if you wanted a thicker oil you could simply buy a thicker oil to begin with. One does not need to buy a 5w30 and convert it into a 15w40 by using Lucas.

Last edited by Makoto; 08-15-2013 at 04:07 PM.