PakShak Auto Detailing Forum
Shop PakShak!

Welcome to PakShak Auto Detailing Forums.

Membership to PakShak.org is free and comes with some great benefits! Members receive special discounts to our store www.PakShak.com. Enter drawings and contests to win great prizes or PakShak dollars through our members-only contests and giveaways. Don't miss out - Sign up today!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, respond to polls, upload pictures of your vehicles and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process, your account login or feel that you are viewing this message in error, please contact us.

Go Back   PakShak Auto Detailing Forum > Other > General Discussion
Home Forum Today's Posts Shoutbox Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar Members List

Old 10-26-2014

Default Wolf's Hard Body

Two weeks ago applied Wolf's Hard Body applied two coats per instructions apply First coat and wait three hours before applying second coat. Let hard body cure for twenty two hours to give ample time to cross link and bond. After two weeks passed by, did a traditional car wash useing mark v very cherry rinsed car off and sheeted very well. This morning wiped off car with waffle weave towel because of overnight rain, after wipe down noticed some of previous sleekness gone what happened?
Old 10-27-2014
Master Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
Two weeks ago applied Wolf's Hard Body applied two coats per instructions apply First coat and wait three hours before applying second coat. Let hard body cure for twenty two hours to give ample time to cross link and bond. After two weeks passed by, did a traditional car wash useing mark v very cherry rinsed car off and sheeted very well. This morning wiped off car with waffle weave towel because of overnight rain, after wipe down noticed some of previous sleekness gone what happened?
I have wiped off over night rain water without any drying aid and found the paint to be grabby. When doing this, I now wipe most of the ponding water off with my hand and then lightly spray a drying aid (FK425-Aqua Wax) before wiping. Rain water is supposed to be pure (no calcium), but it must be leaving a grabby film behind. Try re-washing with soap and see if that helps. BTW this happened with my old G and new Altima with Hard Body on the paint.
Old 10-27-2014

I had a little issue with Hard Body as well. Mine lasted a bit longer (5 months) compared to your two weeks; but the quality of the hydrophobic action degraded significantly. The beading is not really as structured as say a EXO, C1, 22PLE, C2, Overcoat, etc. The hard body has flatter beads and they seem to stop organizing so well shortly after.

Supposedly, it is still protecting after the eye candy dies, but when I started seeing flat sheets of pools, I figured it was a lost cause. Much less than the timeframe advertised. Not sure if it's like Ron says where its really susceptible to waffle weave towels or minerals, but I have other choices I prefer over hard body. I had originally reasoned it had something to do with the Eraser that I used as a prep (never again), but maybe after your post, its something further.

Granted for the ease of the application at the time, its still pretty good as a 3+mo product (although I guess not in your case) and the price makes it fairly attractive. But nowadays, there a lots of wipe on solutions that do wonders (including its own little brother). I still use it at times on the wifes car, but with an expected lifespan of a few months.

Just my opinion.
Old 10-27-2014
Master Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnaks View Post
I had a little issue with Hard Body as well. Mine lasted a bit longer (5 months) compared to your two weeks; but the quality of the hydrophobic action degraded significantly. The beading is not really as structured as say a EXO, C1, 22PLE, C2, Overcoat, etc. The hard body has flatter beads and they seem to stop organizing so well shortly after.

Supposedly, it is still protecting after the eye candy dies, but when I started seeing flat sheets of pools, I figured it was a lost cause. Much less than the timeframe advertised. Not sure if it's like Ron says where its really susceptible to waffle weave towels or minerals, but I have other choices I prefer over hard body. I had originally reasoned it had something to do with the Eraser that I used as a prep (never again), but maybe after your post, its something further.

Granted for the ease of the application at the time, its still pretty good as a 3+mo product (although I guess not in your case) and the price makes it fairly attractive. But nowadays, there a lots of wipe on solutions that do wonders (including its own little brother). I still use it at times on the wifes car, but with an expected lifespan of a few months.

Just my opinion.
There has been some issues with Hard Body with durability and application. Wolf's has a new formula called Body Guard that addresses these issues. I had Hard Body on my uncovered G for over a year with great protection. Granted the beads were not tight like Sonax Polymer Net Shield, but it did the job. I have several customers that have the same experience as I did with Hard Body. Hoping that the new Body Guard will give a year of protection.
Old 10-28-2014

Cool Wolf's HB

Aloha jnaks, Rsurfer: thank u for your experiences with the Wolf.Got up 6am today and did a traditional car wash using carPro Reset. Maybe like Ron mentioned to me that the Mark V did leave a residual film of soap on the surface of paint. Will be using CP Reset on wife's Camry in the future. I seem to like Reset it's concentrated, bubble sudsy and doesn't strip already applied wax, sealants on car surface.The shine and dept of gloss plus sheeting remains, hope slickness comes back to some degree if indeed it was the residual soap of the Mark V. Regarding durability it's supposedly rated for 2 yrs. we'll see and find out won't we. Once again thank's to the Shak's Forum it is a great imput from fellow shaker's to help one another. MAHALO'S Raurfer, Jnak's.
Old 10-28-2014

I haven't done a traditional soap and 2 bucket for almost 3 years now, but when I used to wash with the traditional method(with CG Citrus wash ), soap somehow always leaves a film on top after rinsing. Adding less soap and some ONR eliminated the most of residue after rinsing, btw ONR mix with soap reduces suds, but it was ok for me.

Carpro Reset is nice on a foam cannon, thick foam.
Old 10-28-2014

Default Car wash

Aloha ffguy808, thank's for your Imput and tip adding some onr to reg wash soap, I'll give it a try next time. Mahalo!
Old 10-29-2014

I put Hard Body on a Corolla that sits outside basically 24/7/365 and it lasted quite some time. The initial insane water behavior does taper off, but it dead bead for quite some time. I think I hit it once or possibly twice (I really think once, though) with Reparation after a wash, but other than that it never saw any special topping up or maintenance.

I'm not sure which variant of CG Citrus that ffguy808 used, but with Citrus Wash Clear I did notice the beading falls completely flat when rinsing. The beading would show back up at the next rain, though. Despite CG's claims to the contrary, I think CWC may contain gloss enhancers or something that sticks around on the paint. With Auto Finesse Lather (version 2 is what I have, I think, the one before the current version) the beading was unaffected when rinsing. AF claims Lather has no gloss enhancers or anything and is a "pure" shampoo. Between the two brands I'd trust AF to describe their product more accurately.

I seem to recall Jesse from Wolf's saying something about wetting agents in the Wolf's shampoos that allow moisture to get into the "nano bridges" as he calls them which temporarily affect the beading until the moisture fully evaporates. I can't find the post I'm thinking of, though. He also does claim that washing with normal shampoos may clog the "nano bridges" and that also affects the beading.

Since he's not the chemist behind the formulas, or a chemist in general, some of the answers you get out of Wolf's seem more like guesses filled with marketing terms. There aren't a lot of brands where the chemist behind the chemicals actually gives answers to consumers, though. OPT and Duragloss are the only two I can think of off the top of my head where I've seen the chemists answer consumer questions. Other times Meguiar's and Mothers get chemist answers through the brand reps on forums, but I don't think I've seen their chemists give answers directly.
Old 10-29-2014
Master Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboScooter View Post
I put Hard Body on a Corolla that sits outside basically 24/7/365 and it lasted quite some time. The initial insane water behavior does taper off, but it dead bead for quite some time. I think I hit it once or possibly twice (I really think once, though) with Reparation after a wash, but other than that it never saw any special topping up or maintenance.

I'm not sure which variant of CG Citrus that ffguy808 used, but with Citrus Wash Clear I did notice the beading falls completely flat when rinsing. The beading would show back up at the next rain, though. Despite CG's claims to the contrary, I think CWC may contain gloss enhancers or something that sticks around on the paint. With Auto Finesse Lather (version 2 is what I have, I think, the one before the current version) the beading was unaffected when rinsing. AF claims Lather has no gloss enhancers or anything and is a "pure" shampoo. Between the two brands I'd trust AF to describe their product more accurately.

I seem to recall Jesse from Wolf's saying something about wetting agents in the Wolf's shampoos that allow moisture to get into the "nano bridges" as he calls them which temporarily affect the beading until the moisture fully evaporates. I can't find the post I'm thinking of, though. He also does claim that washing with normal shampoos may clog the "nano bridges" and that also affects the beading.

Since he's not the chemist behind the formulas, or a chemist in general, some of the answers you get out of Wolf's seem more like guesses filled with marketing terms. There aren't a lot of brands where the chemist behind the chemicals actually gives answers to consumers, though. OPT and Duragloss are the only two I can think of off the top of my head where I've seen the chemists answer consumer questions. Other times Meguiar's and Mothers get chemist answers through the brand reps on forums, but I don't think I've seen their chemists give answers directly.
Your explanation is right on Turbo, thanks.
Old 10-30-2014
Master Guru

Aloha all...

Thank you all for all your input. I use quick detailers w/polymers such Ultima Waterless Wash + Concentrate and other spray sealants, spray waxes, etc. So I'm constantly layering if you will on my base protection so it is always beading.

Thank you & Aloha,
Ranney

Ranney Pak
PakShak Car Care & Detailing Supplies
Hawaii's Car Care Central
E-mail: ranney@pakshak.com
Tel: 808-783-6006
www.PakShak.com
Old 10-31-2014

Checked wife's camry this morning, and remnants of rain water still on car hood and roof had tight beads trunk deck had tight and round flat beads. Ran finger over paint surface with water beads and was slick . Plan to later apply optimum spray wax for additional protection of uv etc