PakShak Auto Detailing Forum
Shop PakShak!

Welcome to PakShak Auto Detailing Forums.

Membership to PakShak.org is free and comes with some great benefits! Members receive special discounts to our store www.PakShak.com. Enter drawings and contests to win great prizes or PakShak dollars through our members-only contests and giveaways. Don't miss out - Sign up today!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, respond to polls, upload pictures of your vehicles and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process, your account login or feel that you are viewing this message in error, please contact us.

Go Back   PakShak Auto Detailing Forum > Other > General Discussion
Home Forum Today's Posts Shoutbox Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar Members List

Old 12-01-2007

Default Other Automotive Services

I know that PakShak & HTC is the place for detailing supplies and products, but was wondering where does everyone go for other vehicle services such as...

oil change and regular vehicle maintenance,
new tires,
stereo systems and installation
mechanic, body work, etc.
Old 12-02-2007
Master Guru

Send a message via AIM to muzzy996 Send a message via MSN to muzzy996

For oil change and regular vehicle maintenance I do everything myself.

I usually go to Costco/Sams/Lex's for tires.

For stereo systems and installation I'll shop around and typically buy and install myself.

Major mechanical work I tend to do myself with the exception of AC and tranny work.

For body work I like Fermahin's off of Nimitz. Donnie and his crew there do EXCELLENT work and similar to other's comments you cannot tell the portions of my Audi that have been worked on (except that they look better than the rest of the car in terms of less scratches LOL).
Old 01-04-2008

Kamoi does good body and paint work. They actually were recommended to me by my insurance company when my old vehicle got damaged several years ago (by someone else). Bert even gave me a free loaner- although it was a clunker.

Costco and Sam's does my tires too. I like their free rotation and flat tire repair warranty (well, included in their price). (Sam's actually did a free flat tire repair for me recently (even though I didn't buy the tires from them). They said that as long as you have a Sam's membership, they'll fix any repairable flats for free. Unfortunately, they scratched my new chrome rims and now I'm in the process of trying to get reimbursed for the damage. I'll let you know how it goes.

Been looking in the papers (Buy&Sell Auto, Island Previews, Pennysaver, etc) for car stereo dealers because I've been out of the audio/video scene for a while. Last time I went, there were places like Custom Car Stereo, Progressive Audio, and Island Sound. (am I showing my age or what?) I'm looking for a rear view camera so that I don't run over too many people when backing up. There are so many companies out there- just like detailers (some questionable) that I'm just starting to do my research.

Just had my oil changed at Sears, only because they had a special, were open on New Year's Eve (no appointment necessary) and convenient since I was meeting Ranney in the area for a product pickup.

Still looking for a reliable, honest, and hopefully reasonable mechanic for those non-warranty mechanical repairs. Hopefully I won't be needing any for a while, but it doesn't hurt to start looking for one for when the time comes...
Old 02-18-2008
Master Guru

If anyone can recommend an upolstery place that can do leather repairs that'd be great. I've got a couple of cracks in my leather seats that I better have looked at. I'm hoping something can be done for them.
Old 02-18-2008

Muzzy,

you can try fred's auto top shop. they put the seats in my solara and they did a good job, they were rec. by ******. Noah and craig are very easy to deal with. I knew craig since elem school, small world. here's their info, 845-1587 they are located in the building across woodcraft (Kalani St) in Kalihi up the ramp , its pretty easy to find.
Old 02-18-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan View Post
Muzzy,

you can try fred's auto top shop. they put the seats in my solara and they did a good job, they were rec. by ******. Noah and craig are very easy to deal with. I knew craig since elem school, small world. here's their info, 845-1587 they are located in the building across woodcraft (Kalani St) in Kalihi up the ramp , its pretty easy to find.
i'll be headin' there soon......thanks!
Old 02-19-2008

Good thread idea. How about window tint and clear bra installers?

07 Lexus IS 350 - Starfire Pearl(Wifes)
04 Toyota 4Runner -White(Ours)
68 Camaro RS/SS - Hunter Green(Mine)
Old 02-19-2008

I had John at TNT install the F1 ceramic on our car and I'm pleased with the product and installation. They also installed a clear bra for us which has had a few minor fitment problems could be product could be installer. I've heard good reviews of Al's tinting too.

07 Lexus IS 350 - Starfire Pearl(Wifes)
04 Toyota 4Runner -White(Ours)
68 Camaro RS/SS - Hunter Green(Mine)
Old 02-19-2008

For autobody work, I recommend RN Autobody. RN recently did my wife's Crystal White Lexus' rear bumper and back quarterpanel. I wasn't so much worried about the body work, as a lot of autobody shops do a good job, but it was on how the paint matched the rest of the car, especially since this was a three stage paint job. One autobody shop told me they didn't want to paint the car because it was three stage. I can't tell where the repair was made, and the bumper cover looks like a dead on match. In addition, there is little to show it was repainted in the door jamb area. I also know that the autobody shop painted all the way up to the roof, and halfway on the back door just to make the paint match, when the damage was really only the size of a dinner plate. This was also an insurance claim job, so they did the work on that budget.

For auto repairs, I'd recommend Stewart's Auto, especially if you own a Honda. Of course, he'll fix any sort of car. Only problem is that he's kinda busy, so you may not get an appointment right away.

For glass tinting, I'd recommend Darren's Glass Tinting. Darren did three of my cars. No complaints.
Old 02-20-2008

As far as tinting, I went with TNT and their ceramic tint. I actually prefer the reflective tint vs black (but the ceramic coating is supposed to have less interference with electronics and navigation systems).

TNT probably charges more than others but I figured that the lifetime warranty is only as good as the company remains in business and with many companies coming and going, once they go, so does your warranty (possibly).
Old 02-21-2008
Master Guru

How about a radiator for a Toyota Previa? Where can I get one?

2012 Dupont Registry Elite Detailers Alliance Member
2010 & 2012 Star Advertiser Hawaii's Best
2011 U.S. Commerce Association Best of Aiea
2008 & 2009 Honolulu Advertiser Best of the Best
Old 02-22-2008
Master Guru

Have you tried Kuroda Radiator in Aiea? http://www.kurodaradiator.com .

Also K Ifuku off of Waikamilo in Kalihi.

I've used K Ifuku's before but doubt I'd go back again unless its just for parts themselves. If you're doing it yourself then their prices are decent but if not then be careful. My last experience having them work on my wife's car was unpleasant as the prices quoted by phone for PARTS escalated as did labor. Nothing like going to pick up your car expecting to pay one amount and having to pay much more.
Old 02-22-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea's Luxury Detail View Post
How about a radiator for a Toyota Previa? Where can I get one?
Hi Shea,

Don't know if you're looking for a new or used one and/or if you're looking just for the part or installation also but try checking the radiator shops. Couple of places that I've been to are K. Ifuku http://www.ifukuradiator.com/ in Waiakamilo or Kuroda http://kurodaradiator.net/ near Pearlridge.

If you want new genuine Toyota parts, I just saw in the paper that Servco Windward (Windward only) http://www.servcoautowindward.com/Dealer/SAW/ has a special (15% on parts) until this Sunday (2/23/08). Need to bring coupon either from the paper or you can print one from their website.

I'm not a mechanic or an automotive expert, but I hope that this helps. You could also look in the yellow pages and do some comparison shopping over the phone (save you some driving). Good luck...
Old 02-22-2008

Just out of curiosity

How many of you go to the dealership to get things done? oil changes etc...

To make a long story short I am kind of at war with my dealership even regarding warranty issues....I have found they are kind of like an HMO where for the regular things its alright but for odd things that show up they use the fast cheap way out..oh and another thing they ALWAYS DANGLE THE YOU BREAKING THE WARRANTY THREAT....of which I told them do you know that you have a crappy warranty with the srt8s...3year 36k...I told them that is a shameful warranty and its kinda weak to use that to threaten people who choose to go with a private mechanic...sorry for the rant...
Old 02-22-2008
Master Guru

I rarely go to dealerships for repairs post warranty though I'd be cautious during warranty periods and take it there if anything goes wrong while under warranty.

I dont think you need to dealership visits for routine oil changes but personally I do like to honor the manufacturer's recommended service intervals. Just keep good records so that you can contest any claims regarding warranty terms.

Some dealers like to make up their own schedules, which are typically more agressive. I thnk that's shady, since they often require more frequent visits and more parts over the duration of the warranty period. The way I see it, you're only responsible to follow the manufacturer's recommended services in order to have them honor the warranty.

One thing's for sure, for out of warranty repairs dealers will typically charge standard rates for items even if labor overlaps. For example, if a water pump change is needed and you have to go through the timing belt to get to it, you'll sometimes get added labor charges if you ask for the timing belt to be done too. It helps to start off with a good raport witht he service manager so you can have a more pleasurable experience.