PakShak Auto Detailing Forum
Shop PakShak!

Welcome to PakShak Auto Detailing Forums.

Membership to PakShak.org is free and comes with some great benefits! Members receive special discounts to our store www.PakShak.com. Enter drawings and contests to win great prizes or PakShak dollars through our members-only contests and giveaways. Don't miss out - Sign up today!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, respond to polls, upload pictures of your vehicles and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process, your account login or feel that you are viewing this message in error, please contact us.

Go Back   PakShak Auto Detailing Forum > Other > General Discussion
Home Forum Today's Posts Shoutbox Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar Members List

Old 07-08-2011
Master Guru

Default What are some of your pet peeves about detailing?

Aloha all...

What are some of your pet peeves about detailing? Whether it's you or someone else?

Well, let me start off.

1. I hate it when I forget to put the wiper blade switch back to off after I accidentally turned it to on position while cleaning the dash. Then I start the car and swoosh, I have streak marks on the windshield.

2. After getting done drying the car, water dripping down the outside mirror on the side of the car.

3. Accidentally turning on the Porter Cable polisher with a fresh squeeze of polish on the pad.

4. When I see someone at a gas station, using the window cleaner squeegee on their paint finish. Then using the paper towel and drying the car.

Please share some of your stories. This should get interesting.

Thank you & Aloha,
Ranney

Ranney Pak
PakShak Car Care & Detailing Supplies
Hawaii's Car Care Central
E-mail: ranney@pakshak.com
Tel: 808-783-6006
www.PakShak.com

Last edited by Ranney; 07-08-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-08-2011

Here are some of my pet peeves when it comes to detailing:
*in no particular order*

1) When people enter/exit my car, they leave finger prints all over my car's black painted b-pillar because they use it as handle.

2) When I forget to clean/polish my exhaust tips... noticing only when I'm editing pictures.

3) How it always seems to look like it's going to rain before I detail my car.

4) The crazy stares I get for washing my car weekly.

5) The even crazier stares I get for waxing my car..."again" (2nd or 3rd coat of ___)

Those are just a few... there are probably more... but those are the first 5 to come to mind. XD
Old 07-08-2011

1) washing the car thinking it's not going to rain and it does

2) deciding it's going to rain and it doesn't

3) rinsing the wash off and a gust of wind blows the mist right in your face

4) yeah, that side mirror drip, drip, drip gets to me, and when you have to drive after a wash the excess water flies on the door panels

5) not having a fully covered garage so I have to wait until sundown to do certain stuff

edit: those black ants love to munch on MF towels

Last edited by wolfen; 07-08-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-08-2011

1) Having to drive a bit forward or backwards to get tire shine on the bottom of the tire.

2) Stupid rusty look on brake discs after washing.

3) Passengers leaving finger prints using door pillars to close doors.

4) Leaky side mirrors, trunks lids & door jams.

That's all I could think of for now lol
Old 07-09-2011

[quote=Funkdoktor;35944]1) Having to drive a bit forward or backwards to get tire shine on the bottom of the tire.

Try something like this.

My biggest self gripes:

1. cleaning the glass then remembering I need to apply trim dressing and having to do the glass again

2. Finding a spot I missed the next day (residue wax, side mirror not cleaned, streak on glass especially on rear glass)

3. dropping stuff once in a while (clay, mf towel, etc)
Old 07-09-2011

1, people keep calling me while I'm detailing, hands are full!!!
2, opening the windows after just washing the car (leaves a lot of streaks)

anyone have an advice to prevent #2 besides not opening the windows?
Old 07-09-2011
Master Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by showoff View Post
1, people keep calling me while I'm detailing, hands are full!!!
2, opening the windows after just washing the car (leaves a lot of streaks)

anyone have an advice to prevent #2 besides not opening the windows?
Do you need to roll down the windows? Am I missing something?
Old 07-09-2011
Master Guru

My pet peeves are like Ranney's, but add cleaning interior windows and seeing streaks. Oh, and number 3, try doing that with a rotary. Bad words come out.
Old 07-09-2011

Oh boy Ranney, you really "opened the flood gates" on this one. I can relate to all that have already been said. Let me add several things that make my hairs "stand on end".

1. People who lean on the vehicle especially when they are wearing jeans.

2. People who place things on the vehicle like soda cups, women's handbags, packages, etc...

3. People who put their feet up on the dashboard.

4. Go on a trip and renting a car. The condition the car is in and you can't do squat about it. My wife just laughs at me. FYI, I recently read a report that the most unhealthiest place when traveling is the interior of the car you rent. Dirtier that public restrooms. I now carry "Wet Ones" with me and wipe down the steering wheel, gear shift knob, window controls, and door handles. Real anal.

There's a lot of other things but I would like to hear what others have to say.
Old 07-09-2011

Try detailing your car on a windy day like today and your neighbors pull out their weedwackers, to cut their grass and grind the ground. Tons of grass and dust blowing into your driveway, not to mention the rocks.
Old 07-10-2011
Master Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry50 View Post
Try detailing your car on a windy day like today and your neighbors pull out their weedwackers, to cut their grass and grind the ground. Tons of grass and dust blowing into your driveway, not to mention the rocks.
You can alway's move. J/J Harry. Bummer, no common sense.
Old 07-10-2011
Master Guru

Aloha all...

Keep it coming... These are very good and all true. Let it all out, your among friends. It's therapeutic.

Thank you & Aloha,
Ranney

Ranney Pak
www.PakShak.com
Old 07-10-2011

Hmmmmm, let's see.....oh yea

1. Going into the back seat to wipe the inside of the back window (I have a small car) and not getting a cramp while doing it.
2. Trying to figure out how you had the knobs adjusted before you cleaned the front dash (A/C is on but warm? interior lights are on! etc.) and not realizing some of the adjustments are slightly off.
3. Your next door neighbor comes over while your detailing your car and throws hints that he wants his car detailed too (but he doesn't want to do it or doesn't have the time to do it )
4. You get that strange look from your neighbor after he see's you cleaning every honey comb hole on your front grill and he asks why are you doing that or are you on drugs? .
5. Using my Finnish Kare Wax with a spray bottle on a very windy day. Most of it ends up in the wind or in your face, and again your neighbor is watching .
6. You just spent a day and a half detailing your car and very proud of it. Just when you've done putting all your tools away, the yard man starts working on your neighbor yard across the street and your down wind of him (cut grass all over your car )
Have a nice day all
Old 07-10-2011
Master Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sora View Post
Hmmmmm, let's see.....oh yea
6. You just spent a day and a half detailing your car and very proud of it. Just when you've done putting all your tools away, the yard man starts working on your neighbor yard across the street and your down wind of him (cut grass all over your car )
Have a nice day all
Hey Archer, you should detail your car over at Harry's place..when his neighbors cut the grass, they use a weedwacker and cut rocks along with the grass.
Old 11-13-2011
Master Guru

Aloha all...

I have another pet peeve. It is very similar to harry50. How about while detailing a customer's vehicle and your landscapers arrive. I had to move the vehicle out of the garage and wait about 30 minutes until they were done.

Thank you & Aloha,
Ranney

Ranney Pak
www.PakShak.com