PakShak Auto Detailing Forum
Shop PakShak!

Welcome to PakShak Auto Detailing Forums.

Membership to PakShak.org is free and comes with some great benefits! Members receive special discounts to our store www.PakShak.com. Enter drawings and contests to win great prizes or PakShak dollars through our members-only contests and giveaways. Don't miss out - Sign up today!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, respond to polls, upload pictures of your vehicles and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process, your account login or feel that you are viewing this message in error, please contact us.

Go Back   PakShak Auto Detailing Forum > Detailing > Detailing Discussion
Home Forum Today's Posts Shoutbox Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar Members List

Old 10-13-2014

Default can't seem to avoid "dusting"--why?

FG400 and SF4000 work great for me...by hand with microfiber. But when I use my DA (Griots), it spews "dust" all over the place. Actually, it's more like tiny balls of polish more than dust. It starts almost immediately, so I don't think the pad is dirty. I usually start at speed 2 to spread the product and then go to 5 or so. Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong? Am I using too much product? Or do I need to prime the pad first? Or should I switch to a microfiber pad? Appreciate anyone's suggestions on this.
Old 10-13-2014
Master Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russuyeno View Post
FG400 and SF4000 work great for me...by hand with microfiber. But when I use my DA (Griots), it spews "dust" all over the place. Actually, it's more like tiny balls of polish more than dust. It starts almost immediately, so I don't think the pad is dirty. I usually start at speed 2 to spread the product and then go to 5 or so. Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong? Am I using too much product? Or do I need to prime the pad first? Or should I switch to a microfiber pad? Appreciate anyone's suggestions on this.
How big of an area are you working?
Old 10-13-2014

A good way to reduce dusting is to clean the pad(new or used) before applying polish because some polish may get trap on to the pores of the pad from previous usage. Also mist some quick detail spray on the face of the pad before use.

I personally notice only slight dusting with FG400 and PF2500, but love them both
Old 10-13-2014

Thanks guys. I was doing the hood, in sections about 2' x 2' or so. Maybe I should just run the DA with the pad and see if it is, in fact, old polish that's just stuck deep inside the foam. I generally wash them with Simple Green.
Old 10-14-2014
Master Guru

believe it or not it could be the weather. If it's to humid some products tend to throw tantrums and become a little more difficult to work with however i have not yet experienced the gum balls but the dusting i have encountered.
Old 10-14-2014

This might be a long shot, but check your backing plate out.

I was using an old backing plate (age wise, but not a whole lot of use) a couple of weeks ago, and I was wondering what was flying out of my pad suddenly. It didn't really look like polish dust - it was a bit chunky looking and looked a touch yellowish. I stopped to clean the pad, but nothing about the pad seemed abnormal, so I turned it back on and more bits of stuff went flying instantly. A bit baffled, I turned the speed down and backed off to basically no pressure, but kept the pad lightly contacting the paint.

After a second or two the backing plate let go and went flying with the pad still stuck to it. All I had left stuck my GG6 was the screw threads and a little bit of urethane. Suddenly all those bits of strange "dust" made sense...
Old 10-14-2014
Master Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russuyeno View Post
Thanks guys. I was doing the hood, in sections about 2' x 2' or so. Maybe I should just run the DA with the pad and see if it is, in fact, old polish that's just stuck deep inside the foam. I generally wash them with Simple Green.
Prime the pad and no need to spread the polish.
Old 10-15-2014
Master Guru

If you have a latex glove put it on and run your buffer upside down. Place the backside of your hand (The one with the latex glove on) on the spinning pad and watch the dust fly. Catch the edge and side of the pad too. Once finished give the pad a spray of QD than prime it.

2012 Dupont Registry Elite Detailers Alliance Member
2010 & 2012 Star Advertiser Hawaii's Best
2011 U.S. Commerce Association Best of Aiea
2008 & 2009 Honolulu Advertiser Best of the Best
Old 10-16-2014

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I sure hope it's not my backing plate! I'll experiment a bit and hope I can eliminate this problem.